We love Christmas and the colder weather, but with two pre-schoolers it often comes with its fair share of illness. Stomach bugs, colds, flu and fevers seem to spread like wild fire through offices, schools and shops at this time of year.
So what can we do to stay well this season?
It is inevitable that at Christmas time we eat more than usual and start to choose things which are a little more indulgent. There are office parties, school fairs, Christmas shopping and busy doctors surgeries. It is also usual to let your nutritional goals slip and this begins a steady decline of our nutritional status when we need it the most!
Let’s face it, however healthy we are, Christmas is a time to share in the love of food. It is all about balance.
Here are 6 tips for staying well this season.
- Try our Golden Milk Recipe. This wonderful warming drink is packed full of herbs and spices which support your natural immunity and taste amazing.
- Boost yourself with extra vitamin C loaded foods such as organic chilli flakes and kiwi fruit. If you want an extra punch of vitamin C then why not add organic goji berries to your morning porridge?
- Sleep. Our body rests, heals and resets when we sleep. Make sure you are having nice long lie ins and if you have kids, then try to get early nights instead!
- Take a superfood powder such as Spirulina which is a source of vitamin C, E, K and all the B-vitamins (except true B12). It supplies 160% of the RDA of Iron. It is also a source of Magnesium, potassium, copper and manganese.
- Mineral rich foods high in magnesium e.g. nuts and seeds support the body through times of stress (party season!)
- Don’t underestimate the humble herb. Organic dried basil is high in vitamin A, E, C and K. It is also particularly high in vitamin B6, Niacin and Folate. Add it at the end of cooking for maximum benefit.
We have access to so many nutrient rich foods now so its a great opportunity to offset any Christmas indulgence with foods that help our bodies rest and repair.
Oh, and have fun of course.