Who doesn’t love the sound of a breakfast that includes the word ‘chocolate’?
This recipe may sound indulgent but it is full of healthy, natural ingredients and beats sugar-laden supermarket granola hands down. If you want a protein fuelled gluten-free breakfast this recipe will keep you going until lunch.
You may already know that porridge oats are a source of beta-glucans, but do you know what they do? Consumption of beta-glucans from oats as part of a meal contributes to the reduction of the blood glucose rise after that meal (this is why porridge oats keep you going). Organic almonds are a source of magnesium, phosphorous, manganese, calcium, iron and zinc. They are also high in vitamin E.
This nutrient rich recipe is well worth a try!
Recipe for 4 portions
- 2 cups Forest Whole Food’s Gluten-Free Rolled Oats or Forest Whole Food’s Jumbo Oats
- 1/2 cup Forest Whole Food’s Coconut Chips
- 1/2 cup chopped Forest whole Food’s Organic Almonds (or Organic Mixed Nuts)
- 1/2 cup Forest Whole Food’s Mixed Seeds
- 1/4 cup Forest Whole Food’s Organic Cacao Powder
- 2 tbsp canola oil (or the oil you prefer)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Forest Whole Food’s Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chopped into very small pieces (or cocoa nibs)
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° C
- In a small bowl mix the wet ingredients and the cocoa powder until smooth
- In a big bowl mix the oats, seeds, coconut chips and nuts
- Pour the cocoa mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until fragrant, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure even baking.
- Remove the granola from the oven and let it cool completely.
- When cool add the chocolate, extra coconut chips and place it in a container that has an air-tight seal, and it should keep for a few weeks.