We love cake, but we don’t like guilt, so these Gluten Free Cacao, Date and Almond Cakes (vegan) suit all of our needs.
Cake without the Guilt.
It is nice to think the cake we eat is giving our bodies something more than pleasure. Luckily we have lots of ingredients in our cupboards that are loaded with goodness and lend themselves well to baking.
I put together this recipe to give us the good feeling of eating tasty cake while avoiding the guilt. Plus, they are really easy to make and take no time at all.
Although we are not strictly gluten free we like to avoid too much of anything that isn’t fruit or veg so using a variety of flours is part of this balance. Almond flour (aka. ground almonds) is a decadent choice but also one of the tastiest. Almonds are a source of calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, manganese and are high in vitamin E. This makes using almonds as flour a particularly nutritious choice as well as a really yummy cake mix. These are vegan so eating the mixture raw is also an option!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 or gas mark 3 and place 12 paper cases in a 12 hole tin
- Soak the dates in boiling water for 10 minutes
- Mix the cacao, coconut oil,water and vanilla essence together in a pan
- Place the almonds, salt and bicarb in a food processor and blend until they make a fine flour
- Add the soaked dates and warm cacao mix in and blend again
- Divide the mixture into the 12 cases and cook for 25 minutes