- The nutritional benefits of maca are huge. If you don’t like getting up in the morning, this power food is worth a try.
- Maca is actually a tuber that grows a bit like a potato but has a rich antioxidant and nutritional profile which makes it a particularly special crop.
- This tuber really is worthy of the superfood label. It was once eaten by the indigenous peoples of Peru before battle as they believed it gave them invincible strength and stamina.
- The root grows at altitudes of 12,000 feet, surviving intense sunlight and extreme cold conditions.
- Today, maca powder has been hailed a superfood, packed full of vital vitamins and minerals.
Why Choose Organic Maca?
- Organic Standards Are Tightly Controlled, you can ensure that no bulking agents or heating are used during the powdering process.
- The powder goes through a gentle and careful processing system to make sure that it retains the optimum nutritional content of the root.
- Before our Organic Raw Maca Powder leaves Peru from the family-run farm, it is put through rigorous testing to ensure a very high quality and that it meets organic standards.
- What is even more special is that our Organic Maca Powder hasn’t had any pesticides used on it, so you don’t get a dose of anything nasty along with the goodness.
- If you want to know more about choosing organic read our blog on organic standards.
Nutritional Benefits of Maca Powders
The different types of maca powder have slightly different benefits. The varieties are split into colours which are yellow, red and black maca powder. This colour relates to the outer colour of the tuber and not the colour of the final powder. These colours give different polyphenols, natural pigments and antioxidants which affect the content of the final powder. Maca is hailed for supporting hormonal health, energy and stamina. Women or men experiencing changes in their hormonal health or wanting increased endurance or energy and turning to maca as their powder of choice.
All Organic Raw Maca Powders are a source of riboflavin, niacin and calcium. They are also high in vitamin B6, vitamin C, iron, potassium, manganese, copper and protein. In case that all went over your head, here is what those actually do:
1. Vitamin B6: This is essential to immune system function, hormone function and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
2. Calcium: Calcium is needed for the normal maintenance of bones and teeth, digestive enzyme function and energy-yielding metabolism. It is also essential for blood clotting, muscle function and neurotransmission in the body. (Best of all you don’t need to eat any dairy products!)
3. Iron: Iron contributes to normal cognitive function, immune system function and the reduction of tiredness. It is also needed for energy-yielding metabolism, formation of red blood cells, transportation of oxygen and cell division.
4. Manganese: This vital nutrient contributes to the maintenance of normal bones, formation of connective tissue and the protection of cells from oxidative stress.
5. Vitamin C: This well-known nutrient contributes to normal function of the immune system during and after intense physical exercise and is necessary for normal collagen formation. It is also essential to normal functioning of the immune system and the protection of cells from oxidative stress.
Okay, But What Can I Do With It?
One of my personal favourite ways to add Maca Powder to my daily diet is by adding it to smoothies. You can also add it to porridge or use it in baking.
At Forest Whole Foods we currently stock both Organic Raw Yellow, Black and Red Maca Powder.
Author: Jake Joint