If you are often on the run and need a quick fix, then these Energy Boost Breakfast Bars will add nutrition and speed to your breakfast routine.
These tasty breakfast bars are a perfect way to start the day. If you often find yourself eating on the run due to a busy schedule then this is a guilt free addition to your bag. Grabbing food on the go often results in pointless packaging and less fresh food choices. If you have a stack of these in your fridge waiting to go then life will be one step closer to being organised!
You may already know that porridge oats are a source of beta-glucans, but do you know what they do? Consumption of beta-glucans from oats as part of a meal contributes to the reduction of the blood glucose rise after that meal (this is why porridge keeps you going).
Get started with this nutritious breakfast full of protein, fibre and good fats to keep you going all morning.
Be creative with the ingredients to add extra flavour and nutrition.
- ½ Banana
- ¾ cup Forest Whole Foods gluten free oats
- 4 tbsp Forest Whole Foods desiccated coconut
- 7 Forest Whole Foods dried apricots
- 2 tbsp Forest Whole Foods goji berries
- 2 tbsp Forest Whole Foods cacao nibs
- ½ tsp Forest Whole Foods Ceylon cinnamon
- ½ tsp Mixed spice (optional)
- ¼ Heaped cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp Date syrup
- Preheat over to 180C (360F). Line a baking tray with a little coconut oil.
- In a bowl mash the banana. Add the dry ingredients: oats, coconut, dried fruit (chop the apricots into smaller chunks), cacao nibs and spice. Mix.
- Add the peanut butter and date syrup. Mix until everything is combined and clumping together.
- Dollop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking tray. Use your hands to spread it out into a rough rectangle. Press lightly to form an even layer.
- Bake in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then slice into 8 squares.
- Serve alone as a grab and go snack, enjoy for breakfast with yogurt, or top with some dark chocolate for an afternoon pick me up.