Calcium is such an important mineral to the human body, we actually contain about 1.2 kg of it!
Are you interested in the benefits of calcium? Here at Forest Whole Food we think being a ‘food detective’ is so important in today’s world. Nutrition facts are fun once you start learning the ropes so we make sure we share as much information as possible.
Calcium is a mineral which is absorbed in our small intestine, a process which is dependent upon Vitamin D being present. Calcium works to contract muscles and magnesium works to relax them.
Calcium absorption requires adequate amounts of a range of co-factors including magnesium, phosphorus, Vitamin A and C. These nutrients are present in a wide range of whole foods, fruits and vegetables so combining all these foods together can help get adequate calcium where the body needs it.
About 99% of the calcium we absorb goes straight into our bones and teeth and the rest is used in the muscles and blood.
- Normal blood clotting
- Normal energy-yielding metabolism
- The function of our musclces
- The neurotransmission in our body
- Function of our digestive enzymes
- The process of cell division and specialisation
- The maintenance of normal bones and teeth
- Growth and development of bone in children