Iron is an essential mineral needed for the production of our blood.
Here at Forest Whole Food’s we think being a ‘food detective’ is so important (and fun too). Nutrition is so interesting (for food geeks like us) so we make sure we share as much information as possible.
Our bodies use Iron to produce haemoglobin (the red blood pigment which transports oxygen around the body) and myoglobin (a muscle pigment). It also plays an important role in energy production so is particularly important for our energy levels.
Many plant based products are fortified with iron as the most reliable sources are shellfish, red meat, sardines and egg yolk. Many whole foods contain iron but it is not as available to the body as haem iron (from animal sources).
A lack of iron results in iron-deficiency anaemia which causes tiredness and fatigue. Those who need to watch their iron intake most are those who follow a plant based diet, menstruating women and adolescents and toddlers.
- The reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- Normal cognitive function
- Energy-yielding metabolism
- Normal formation of red blood cells and haemoglobin
- Oxygen transport in the body
- Normal function of the immune system
- The process of cell division
- Normal cognitive development of children