Vitamin B12 (aka cobalamin) is an essential nutrient which is a water soluble and contains cobalt.
Here at Forest Whole Food’s we think being a ‘food detective’ is so important. Nutrition is one of the most exciting things to become an expert in so we make sure we share as much information as possible.
Vitamin B12 can be stored in the liver for several years but is harder obtain in vegan diets so supplementation or fortified foods are usually necessary. It is required in smaller amounts than any other known vitamin but even small deficiencies can cause symptons. We need 10mcg (micrograms) of B12 spread over a day and deficiency symptoms usually take five years or more to develop in adults.
Vitamin B12 supports:
- Normal functioning of the nervous system
- Normal energy-yielding metabolism
- Normal homocysteine metabolism
- Normal psychological function
- Normal red blood cell formation
- Normal function of the immune system
- The reduction of Tiredness and fatigue
- The process of cell division
If you want to find foods that are a high source of B12 try our Engevita B12 Yeast Flakes